Audit opportunities in the Caribbean – What is on offer?
We work with all of the large accountancy practice across the Caribbean & Bermuda and each year they have numerous opportunities for newly qualified accountants to relocate offshore and experience what island life has to offer. We thought it may be useful to provide some further information on what to expect and how the process works.
- Living in the Caribbean offers people the opportunity to strike a fine balance between work and play as each island offers glorious climates and a relaxing outdoor lifestyle.
- The islands are home to some of the world’s most pristine beaches and crystal clear waters allowing residents to kick back and concentrate on life’s finer things.
- Surrounded by like minded people, there is an excellent social scene allowing people to make new friends easily and be part of a community.
- The majority of firms have active social committees and sports teams ensuring that people’s lives on the islands are filled with fun and the opportunity to stay active.
Whilst each island can boast many similarities to the next, you will find each island offers its residents something different. Those with the majority of opportunities include:
- Cayman Islands
- British Virgin Islands
- Bermuda (not Caribbean but very similar)
- Turks & Caicos
As all of the islands are relatively small, the commute to work is never an issue with most people either taking a stroll along the beach or opting to use mopeds to get around.
Working in the Caribbean
Every year there are multiple opportunities for qualified accountants to join both Big 4 and Top 10 practices where you will gain exposure to providing external audit services to organisations in the following sectors:
- Structured finance
- Captive Insurance
You will gain excellent exposure to working closely with your clients and senior management team ensuring that your work is valued and you are integral to the success of the business.
There will also be fantastic opportunities for progression through to management allowing people to extend their stay above the normal 2 years expected when starting your role.
Benefits of Living & working in the Caribbean
- High salaries with very low tax.
- Laid back lifestyle in a glorious climate.
- High Standard of Living.
- Friendly like minded professional people.
- Short Commute to work meaning more time to enjoy yourself.
- Lots of bars, restaurants and social events all year round.
- Lots of sporting clubs and community teams.
- Beautiful beaches with crystal clear waters.
- Excellent opportunities for progression with fast track promotions.
- Contracts are typically 18 months/2 years however longer stays are encouraged.
- Comprehensive training and experience in working with some of the world’s largest financial services organisations providing an excellent platform for future opportunities.
- The opportunity to build an international network of professional contacts.
- A number of firms promote a more casual ‘office based’ dress code.
- Settle in with a peer group of other CAs all starting at the same time as you.
- Cosmopolitan population with multiple nationalities.
Dependent on your island of choice, you will receive a tax free salary or one with a very low payroll tax. Dependant on exchange rates at the time, you are generally looking a the equivalent to £70,000 including annual bonuses
- Most firms tend to recruit once a year for start dates in September/October but others will also recruit individuals for January starts (just in time for the busy audit season)
- Interviews will typically take place over the Telephone or via Video call.
- Offer packages will typically include the cost of your flights and Work permits.
- The majority of firms will also provide accommodation for the first 2-4 weeks and will advise you on finding a property and often provide transport to assist.
- As a dedicated site for Audit opportunities we work with a range of specialist agencies that can assist you and guide you through the process of securing life changing opportunities.
- Our partners have many years experience of working with Caribbean firms and can advise you every step of the way ensuring application to start date is a smooth and care free transition.
- Our recruiters will assist you in writing your CV to appeal to the hiring managers in the Caribbean. Once an interview is requested they will walk you through a tailored interview coaching session so that you can demonstrate your experience strengths effectively.
Typical experience required
- ACA/ACCA/CPA/CA qualified with certificate.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in external audit with 6 months+ experience as a senior on engagements.
- No Financial Services experience is required although this is beneficial.
If you are interested in considering a move to the Caribbean or Bermuda and would like to discuss the benefits and how we can make this happen, please do contact one of the Numero Recruitment team or send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
We also recruit into other overseas locations and would love the opportunity to discuss your desired location and how we can assist you to make the move.Back to all blogs